This summer salad contains al the tastes of the beautiful Pantelleria island. The sweet red onions, the olives, the oregano, the tomatoes and above all the capers. They are usually preserved in salt and you can find them in many Italian specialty shops around the world. Enjoy this salad in a hot summer night with your family and friends!
Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients (serves 6)
600 g potatoes
300 g cherry tomatoes
20 g Pantelleria capers
1 red onion (if you can find it get a Tropea onion, which has a most sweet taste)
1 spoon of black olives
some leaves fresh basil
1 glass of red wine vinegar and two tbsp white vinegar (of white wine or apple)
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Cut the onion in thin rings and soak it in the vinegar for about 30 minutes. This will sweeten the taste.
- Peel and cut the potatoes in slices of about half centimenter.
- Put some salt and two spoons of white vinegar in the water then boil the potatoes.
- Drain the onions. Let the potatoes cool down.
- Cut the tomatoes in half, take the seeds off and let them drain as well.
- Finally mix everything together gently and add the capers, the olives and the leaves of basil. Season with olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper.