Fried zucchini blossoms are a best of the Italian summer recipes. I like when the batter is without egg and the result is crispy and light like a Japanese tempura. They make a really great aperitivo.
Time: 20 min
Ingredients (4 people, 3 flowers each)
12 zucchini blossoms
150 g flour type 00, sifted
100–120 ml very cold sparkling water
sunseed oil to fry
1. Wash the flowers, remove the pistils and dry very well.
2. Sift the flour; in a bowl mix it with the water until it has a creamy texture. Adjust adding water or flour in case you feel it’s too liquid or too dense.
3. Preheat the oil in a (preferably iron) pan. You should have at least three cm oil to fry.
4. Soak the flowers in the batter one by one, let the batter drain and then deep fry them for about 2 minutes until crispy.
5. Lay them on a tray with kitchen paper just for a few moments till dry, add some salt and serve immediately.